Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Power of Choice

I was on a flight to visit my father, who was spending some time in Florida visiting the places he used to go with my mother before she died. I decided it would be better if he had some companionship. As I was sitting there, reading a book I happened to pick up the airport, a voice spoke to me. It said, "You are extremely valuable!"

I'll never forget it. It took my by surprise and I felt the import of the words. I let them change me, right then and there. And I really took it to heart. I have to recognize that I am being helped. I can really feel these awakened masters with me and I know that I am not ever alone. When guidance comes in this strong, I pay attention.

Listen to this from Chapter 18, "Littleness and glory are the choices open to your striving and your vigilance. You will always choose one at the expense of the other. Yet what you do not realize, each time you choose, is that your choice is your evaluation of yourself."

Isn't that amazing? Your striving is always either toward glory or toward littleness. Ideas of lack or limitation in your mind are killing you. They are literally denying you your true nature.

What if I am here to be a totally glorious awakened teacher of God in service to mankind because of my commitment to the truth? What if that were true?
Well, it is. I am extremely valuable.

I am perfect and whole as God created me and I have nothing to say about it. My ideas of denial are nothing. It doesn't even make any sense to anyone, especially me. I know that I am happiest when I am giving to someone. When I have stopped to ask myself, do I really like myself and what I am doing right now? Do I enjoy this? Do I like what I spend my time doing? Do I like my partner, my children? Am I feeling glorious, or small? Is this working or not? Do I feel appreciated, loved, cared for. Am I appreciating myself? Loving myself?

This is really important. Because after two marriages, I have to pull myself up on how I let myself stay in unhappy situations too long. How I worked at a job not because I liked it, but because it paid the bills. I have to recognize that I have been making the choice for littleness and that my true desire is to experience the glory of my Self and extend that into the universe. I have to value myself entirely and recognize that I am whole.

My entire reference for my life has shifted. I no longer tolerate unkindness from anyone. Period. And I refuse to be unkind to anyone. I have to be admonished for impatience and mistrust. I have to see that I have tried to find happiness outside of me, in relationships or external circumstances. None of which has worked.

I am whole and perfect as God created me. That means I am honest, faithful, trusting, giving, and joyful. I must accept that these are the attributes I want to experience. Nothing less than happiness, which is a constant state, by the way. Consistency is honesty. And true happiness never wavers. I can experience happiness all the time if I am vigilant in my mind to be who I really am.

It's not easy. Here in this place I always feel a little bit afraid of people. I just do. It comes from a knowing that I do not belong here. And I am trying to find a way to be here. I have to earn money because I have children and I really enjoy seeing them. Working is giving and I have learned to enjoy working. I hate just sitting around or just watching movies. I am not entertained by this world any more. The only joy I really feel is in extending.

You might think it impossible to be happy all the time. I do want it, though. I want to experience only that. Only peace, only joy and only love.

In my awakened state, I know it's true. Yet, I die daily. I allow all my ideas to come into my awareness, admit them, and then let go. I am challenged by the practice I live by, which is to constantly surrender each unloving thought. In that choice, I am willing to be utilized. I want to know myself as I truly am. I am free to be myself. It has nothing, NOTHING to do with anyone else.

Freedom is freedom from judgment. Period. I no longer worry about what others think of me. I am MY SELF.

I have chosen to be in my glory. I simply have to accept that God is love. If God is love, so am I. There is no such thing as conflict or fear. Period. I don't tolerate it.

Finally, enlightenment is a choice to be the love that you are. A recognition of the truth of you. You are extremely valuable! And you have nothing to say about it. The sooner you experience it, the happier you will be. You might as well accept it right now. Don't allow any doubts to enter. Just be free of all the nonsense for a moment and let your light shine before men.

What have you got to lose?

Blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my God. Wow.

I read this post in an absolute state of wonder. It's a masterpiece and so are you! Thanks Monica.