Friday, April 4, 2008

Salvation Comes From My One Self

"You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life.
Now I will you to be a bold swimmer,
To jump off in the midst of the sea, rise again, nod to me, shout, and laughingly dash with your hair".
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself


The poets know. I always am reminded in hours of quietness that there are those who know. They know themselves. They are the poets, the writers, the philosophers. I read Emerson and drink in his timeless wisdom that comes with experience. He got me through such trying times in my life. When my kids moved away, when my husband left. When my mother died. When the hours seemed so long and dull without the sound of little footsteps in my house.

My real affinity is for those who really know who they are, and who are not afraid to express themselves. There is no right or wrong in all this. My feeling for love, for being loved, for having a true relationship with God, my Creator is beyond my own understanding.

I find my searching coming into a newness, a feeling of simplicy and humility. And above all a wonderment at the slightest feelings, intimations or ideas.

Chance meetings with my fellows occur when I have no plans. And there is communication among us, beyond our own judgment. It just simply occurs in the moment. The spontaneity of my mind directs me to where to go. Fearless in the now. This is critical now.

All has changed, I cannot grasp the fullness of each moment. If I am sad, I am totally, completely bereft. If angry, I am furious at God and everyone around me. If happy, the joy is boundless. It is so extreme, and yet so alive.

All I know is I am alive! I feel all, I touch all, I am everything around me. I dare to love my brother and to let him in! I only want that sweet communication with him to know myself. It is rare. It is full.

Appreciation comes into my awareness at the end of the day. How horrible it began with all my thoughts of unfairness and smallness and now I am so peaceful with the knowledge of the love I feel, the communion I have with my self, with God. I cannot doubt the existence of the real, of the lightness of being. I am that.

I finally get that it isn't fickle to want to know myself, it is the only thing worth knowing, because God made me to feel all, to know all. To breathe and laugh and cry and find the heart, and live there. And to let my brothers come into my life, share their fears, their joys with me.

"Vivas to those who've failed!
And to those whose war-vessels sank in the sea.
And to those who themselves sank in the sea."

I love Walt Whitman for his daring, his pronouncements of life itself. Read this:

"There was never any more inception than there is now,
Nor any more youth or age than there is now,
And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now."

Isn't that incredible?

My one self is to be celebrated, to be honored and to be sung. It is time to truly live in that aliveness of self. I cannot believe how easy it is...

"I celebrate myself and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass."

Blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love every single one of these posts.

Anita said...

Monica! There are those who know! And you are one of them. Thanks for reminding me how real encounters occur when I have no plans. I am on the road now, trying to let it all be shown to me and keeping loose with plans...these little reassurances are most welcome.
I love you..................